How do I order an OFYR?
- Please see our dealer locator for your nearest dealer
What is the OFYR made of?
- 100% Steel, Carbon Steel (cooktop) and Corten Steel (base)
What is included with the OFYR?
- The OFYR comes complete with its steel base, fire cone and cooking platter.
How will the OFYR be delivered?
- The OFYR will be delivered on a palletized box. Typically, the OFYR will be shipped within 48 hours depending on location.
Will the OFYR be rusty when delivered?
- Yes, we leave the OFYR outside at the factory to let the corrosion process occur naturally. Therefore, the OFYR will already be protected from the elements when delivered to our customers.
Is the OFYR portable?
- The OFYR comes in 3 parts which makes it possible to move around easily. However, the cooking surface will require two people to lift it into place.
What fuel do I use on the OFYR?
- The OFYR is designed to use seasoned wood. You can choose the type of wood to add flavor as each wood species will produce a different flavored smoke.We recommend using any hardwood with birch or oak, which proves a good round smokey flavor. Others such as cherry and pear providing a sweeter smoke.
How much wood does the OFYR use?
- A small bag of logs is sufficient to take you through a normal family cook. If you’re cooking for extended periods, then you will need additional logs to keep your surface at cooking temperature.
Can I use charcoal as well to cook on the OFYR?
- Yes, charcoal can be used to cook on the OFYR as well. However, the OFYR will not be able to reach heat up to 300 degrees such as when using oak wood.
How do I prepare my OFYR for its first cook?
- The OFYR works best after one or two uses, when oil has been burned into the plate. This helps the cooking process, and protects the plate from corrosion when not in use.
How do I light my OFYR?
- When you light the OFYR for the first time it is important to start with a small fire and let it burn for 20-25 mins before adding more fuel. This allows the cooking plate to change its shape gradually as it heats. Because the inner and outer edges of the plate heat up at different rates, it is normal that some distortion will occur. The center of the ring dips towards the fire by design. Excess oil will run towards the fire and burn off.
What oil shall I use on the OFYR?
- It is best to use vegetable oil for cooking, one with a high smoking point such as sunflower oil. To create a nice brown/black color on the plate, it is advisable to use olive oil the first time you burn the plate.
How do I know when the cooking surface is hot enough?
- Once the OFYR is lit, allow 30-45 mins for the plate to reach the maximum cooking temperature of 250-300 °C. The hottest area of the plate is towards the middle. The plate will bend slightly as it heats, causing a shallow dip towards its center. This does not affect the cooking process, and the plate will return to its normal shape once cooled.
What kinds of foods can I cook on the OFYR?
- All kinds!! The OFYR is great for steaks, seafood, veggies and you can even put pans on the cooktop to make sauces.
How do I finish cooking?
- The easiest way to extinguish the fire is to let it burn itself out, or place the optional cover on top of the plate. To extinguish the fire quickly you can pour some water over the cone. This will not cause any damage but be prepared for a lot of smoke and ash!
How do I clean my OFYR?
- OFYR is simple to clean and requires virtually no maintenance. Food scraps and excess oil go into the fire – all you need to do is wipe the OFYR with a damp cloth and it’s ready for the next cook. During a cook a scraper is useful to both clean the surface but also turn and move food. Ash can be removed using a dustpan and brush, without removing the plate.
Why does my plate feel sticky?
- The new plate can feel rather sticky, as this has already been treated with vegetable oil in our factory to form a protective layer.
Can you leave the OFYR in the rain?
- OFYR can be left outdoors and uncovered in all weather conditions. The base improves with direct contact to the elements. The cooking surface once burnt in has a natural resistance to the elements. You should oil the plate twice a year for optimal performance and to protect from all the elements.
Do I have to place a plate underneath the OFYR to protect the ground from burning?
- The warmth of the base will not be as hot at the bottom as on top to be able to burn the ground underneath the OFYR. However, it could be practical to place a steel plate underneath the OFYR to protect your terrace from food scraps and oil drops.
What is the warranty of the OFYR?
- We offer a five-year warranty on the OFYR if purchased through us directly.